Peoria County – The Peoria County Board invites residents to submit ideas for an official Peoria County Flag. Whether you’re a graphic designer, artists, doodler, or just want to put crayon to paper, we want to see your designs! Contest entries are being accepted August 8, 2022, through September 7, 2022, at 5 p.m.
A flag is a symbol of a community. When done well, it is recognizable, representative, elicits emotion, and is adaptable. Peoria County currently has a county seal, but not a county flag. While the seal does well to convey authority on documents and items viewed up-close, it does not translate well onto a flag that must be flown high in the sky or seen and understood quickly at a distance.
Designs may be created and submitted digitally or drawn directly onto an official entry form and submitted. Up to three designs per person may be submitted; each should be 7.5 in x 4.5 in. A panel of judges will cull all submissions down to no more than five designs. The public will be invited to vote for the winning design later in September. Full contest rules are available at www.peoriacounty.gov/1232.
Below are suggestions from the North American Vexillological Association on good flag design. We highly recommend residents follow these guidelines and learn more about flag design at https://nava.org.
- Keep It Simple - The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbolism - The flag's images, colors, or patterns should relate to our community.
- Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors - Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well.
- No Lettering or Seals - Avoid writing of any kind or the County seal.
- Be Distinctive or Be Related - Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.
- Consider Real-World Structure - Imagine how the flag will look in a variety of locations and sizes.
Entrants must reside within Peoria County or be attending an institution of higher education within Peoria County. Entry forms, along with contest rules, will also be available at multiple libraries throughout Peoria County: Peoria Public Libraries, Lillie M. Evans Library (Princeville), Chillicothe Public Library, Alpha Park Public Library (Bartonville), Dunlap Public Library, Peoria Heights Public Library, and Brimfield Public Library.
Visit www.peoriacounty.gov/1232 for full contest details, entry forms, and design best practices.